Wednesday 30 January 2013







Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.

The snow has finally gone.  It was beautiful in its own way, but bleached almost all the colour out of the landscape.  I woke up on Sunday morning to find the world green again - and how rich and vibrant it looked.

Apart from the intense cold, I didn't mind it though.  It necessitated a couple of days off from the studio.  It gave me a chance to read and I appreciated the time to think.  I did some sketching, converting the windowsill of the bay window into a temporary desk and drawing trees seen across the field and birds in the snowy garden.  Everywhere was quiet without the usual traffic and due to the muffling effect of the snow.  We used up loads of logs and my dog slept peacefully by the wood-burning stove, enjoying the fact that we were all at home and the comfort that an elderly whippet loves so much!

Now I'm back to work again and feeling as if I want to work with even more vibrant colour than before.  Seeing my work in the context of a new gallery recently, has encouraged me to be as expressive and vibrant as I like and that this would be a positively good thing for the maturity of my painting.  Being truly yourself in your work seems to be the most engaging thing that an artist can do but possibly also the most difficult.  It requires continual courage to be free.


All text and images©2013 Carol Saunderson