Friday 9 February 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


9 February


Wet and windy weather hangs over us all day.  Millie is less than enthusiastic about walking.  Today’s efforts are short and swift.  Despite her dog coat, she is feeling the cold and thus employs her best shiver and imploring look.  Then she comes to a complete standstill and gives me that, “if you think I’m going any further, you are very much mistaken”, expression.  As soon as I say the magic words, “Shall we go back now?”, she skips round on the spot and pulls me towards home. Happy dog with biscuit soon follows!

I, however, do have to head out.  Appointments, in one town and then another, take up most of the day.  There is no time to paint.  Later in the afternoon I visit my Mum and sit by her bed as she sleeps.  She opens her eyes just once in the whole time that I am there.  I know that she doesn’t recognise me, but I smile and say “hello”, softly.  Her mouth moves into the beginnings of a smile, and then she falls asleep again.  She looks very peaceful.

A cold rain is still falling as I feed a friend’s sheep.  I go home and light the fire in order to warm up.  Looking out across the fields I can see the edge of the cloud layer and the setting sun visible at last.


All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/