Friday 12 January 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


12 January

The first sound that I hear on waking, is a robin singing....and singing....and singing.  There is virtually no light, but he is in full voice.  I cannot prove it, but my gut feeling is that a change has occurred, and that he is singing for longer.  I suspect that the holding of winter territory is now overlapping with singing to attract a mate.

The dawn breaks onto another grey morning, but the cloud begins to thin and soon patches of watery blue sky appear.  I realise how something as simple as a glimpse of colour in the sky cheers my heart and energises me.  

We take the path through a wooded area, and I see a flash of pinkish-brown out of the corner of my eye, and then another.  A jay zooms through the trees at head height, to my left.  

In the studio I work on two paintings, adding colour and building up the layers.

During the late afternoon, the sun emerges from beneath the cloud base, just for five or so minutes, but the effect on the colour of the landscape is striking.  A line of trees on the horizon turns an amazing red-gold.

I love art, but it can never out-do nature.



All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/