Friday 19 January 2018



Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


19 January



A grey heron stands looking hopefully into Barry’s ice-covered pond, until our door to the garden opens and causes it to lift off, flying languorously away over the meadow.

I am able to take a longer walk in the winter sunshine today, but do not feel well enough to spend a whole day standing at the easel in a cold studio.  Instead, I limit my time, making sketches and ink paintings with simple compositions and a restricted colour palette.

At twilight, Millie and I take a short stroll and I look at the sliver of moon, set against an ice-blue sky.  The silhouettes of the motionless, bare trees are inky black against the translucent background.  A wide and heavy band of purply-blue cloud moves incrementally across the scene and obscures the fingernail of light.


All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/