Wednesday 24 January 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


24 January


It is not a good day to be carrying a large painting along a high street.  The bag is likely to act as a sail in the wet and windy weather.  I park as close as possible to the gallery, tuck as much of the parcel as I can under my arm, and make a dash for the door.  Fortunately, I arrive safely and manage not to take out any ceramics as collateral damage on the way in, which is always a result in my book!  (Or smack the picture on the door frame - another old favourite).

I make a short trip to the framers and then set off for home.  The road on which I leave the village must be one of the highest for several miles around.  From it there are expansive views of rippling and rolling countryside, peppered with timbered houses and a church tower.  In the distance I can see that a very heavy band of rain is heading towards me.  The layer has turned to thick mist and as I arrive at the junction with the main road, the rain starts hammering on the vehicle.  The wind howls across my path as I climb a steep hill to a particularly exposed section.  Water runs down the road like stream.

In the afternoon, I add another layer to a painting and varnish two others.  By twilight, the weather has begun to clear.



All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/